Plaque placed at BI Museum

Tuesday, April 1, 2014
Standing in front of the new plaque at the Buffalo Island Museum stating the building is on the National Register of Historical Places are museum committee members Larry Drummond, William Piercy, Ernestine Harrell, Jane Miller, Martha Wallace, Eddie Dunigan, Josh Parnell and Chub Qualls.

Buffalo Island Museum in Monette has purchased a bronze plaque stating: "First National Bank, 201 W. Drew Avenue, Built in 1918, was placed on the National Register of Historical Places by the United States Department of the Interior on January 24, 2008."

National Register of Historic Places plaque placed on Buffalo Island Museum building in Monette.

The museum went through nearly a year long process of having the building put on the National Registry of Historical Places. The First National Bank Building in Monette is the only remaining building in this area of the late 19th and 20th century classical revival style of architecture. The exterior of the building with its two large columns has seen only a few changes throughout the years. The museum had received a certificate when it received the award that is framed and hangs in the museum's lobby.

Buffalo Island Museum is proud to be located in this historical building and has wanted to purchase the plaque for some time. But the money the museum receives from donations, grants, and our annual bake and Boston butt sale has been used to remodel and for the upkeep of the building. Only recently the committee was able to buy the bronze plaque and attach it to the front wall of the building where it fit perfectly in an area where a sign had previously hung in the past.

The museum has been closed during the winter months but will reopen April 4. New hours are 1-4 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Admission is free.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: