Top seeded Nettleton ousts Riverside from NEA tournament

Tuesday, January 1, 2013
Riverside senior Logan Meurer (21) drives past Marmaduke defender Kasey Reagans (5) in NEA Tournament action at the Convocation Center in Jonesboro.

Ninth seeded Riverside battled Nettleton on even terms for three quarters, but the top seeded Raiders finally put away the stubborn Rebels 62-56 in the quarterfinals of the 2012 Northeast Arkansas Invitational Tournament Saturday night at the Convocation Center in Jonesboro.

The Raiders grabbed a 15-11 lead after the first quarter, thanks to a pair of three pointers by Nettleton guard Deisreal Gordon, who finished the night with 18 points, including five treys. Nettleton stretched its lead to six early in the second period, before the Rebels fought back, pulling to within one, 20-19, on a three pointer by senior guard Logan Meurer with 3:26 left in the half. The Raiders finished the quarter with a 10-5 run to take a 30-24 advantage into the dressing room at intermission.

The third quarter belonged to the Rebels, who outscored the Raiders 17-11 to forge a 41-41 tie entering the final period of play. Meurer scored nine third period points to lead the Rebel rally.

Nettleton took a 45-41 lead early in the fourth quarter before the Rebels rallied on a three pointer by junior Jacob Jordan to pull Riverside to within one. Caleb Waugh gave the Rebels its only lead of the game, 46-45, with a pair of free throws at the 6:42 mark. But the Raiders took the lead for good on a 10-foot jumper by Gordon with 6:02 left in the game. Gordon's bucket started an 11-0 Raider run that ended when the 6'2" senior drilled his fifth three pointer of the night, giving the Raiders their biggest lead at 56-46 with 3:21 left in the game. Riverside never got closer than six points the rest of the way.

Joining Gordon in double figures for the Raiders was Victor Duke, who had 15 points, including a pair of slam dunks. Silas French added 14 points for Nettleton, who finished 12-19 from the foul stripe and connected on six treys on the night.

Meurer led Riverside with a game high 20 points. Alteeno Sain scored eight while Dylan Wright, Caleb Waugh, Kollin Stone and Jacob Jordan all finished with seven points apiece. The Rebels hit six of 10 foul shots and connected on five three pointers. Both teams committed 17 turnovers.

Riverside advanced to the quarterfinals with a hard fought 59-54 victory over conference foe Marmaduke Thursday night.

The Greyhounds bolted to a 9-1 lead to begin the game, before the Rebels closed the quarter on a 10-2 run to knot the game at 11-11 at the end of the period.

Marmaduke began the second quarter, outscoring Riverside 14-5 to take a 25-16 lead. Sophomore Eddie Page ignited the Greyhound surge, scoring seven straight points. Riverside fought back, thanks to three consecutive treys by junior guard Caleb Waugh. Logan Meurer added the Rebels fourth three pointer of the quarter to pull Riverside to within 29-26 with 1:07 left before halftime. Alteeno Sain's inside bucket and a layup by Meurer gave the Rebels a 30-29 halftime edge.

Marmaduke took the lead back to begin the third quarter with a pair of Page buckets and a Will Winberry basket, but the Rebels battled right back and grabbed the lead on a steal and two handed slam by Alteeno Sain with 4:34 to go in the period. Sain pushed the Rebel lead to 38-35 but the Greyhounds finished the quarter, outscoring Riverside 9-0 to take a 44-38 lead into the final period of play.

Marmaduke pushed its lead to 47-38 when Winberry completed a three point play to begin the fourth quarter. Riverside stormed back once more, thanks to a tenacious full court press that saw the Rebels go on a 13-0 run of its own to grab a 51-47 lead with 2:39 left in the game. Sain's three consecutive buckets ignited the Rebel eruption.

Riverside connected on eight consecutive free throws down the stretch, four each by Waugh and Meurer to secure the Rebel victory.

Meurer and Sain led Riverside with 20 points apiece while Waugh finished with 13. Dylan Wright chipped in six points for the Rebels, who hit 13-20 foul shots and hit four three pointers, all in the third quarter. Riverside committed 16 turnovers but forced 21 Greyhound miscues.

Eddie Page led all scorers with 21 points while Will Winberry had 19 points and 14 boards. The Greyhounds hit seven of nine free throws and made three treys.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: