A large brick monument has been placed on the site of the former Childress School to commemorate the 40 years the school served the surrounding community. The former Childress elementary and cafeteria remained intact after the school closed and was renovated into a spacious home by owners Leon and Barbara Brinkley. The home is now the home of Stormy and Marti Peel and their three children, Leigh, Lauren, and Grady. The Peel home and monument are east of Highway 139 on Craighead County Road #534.
Parking for the dedication has been provided on the south side of the monument, on the former site of the Childress Baptist Church.
Members of the CHS Historical Marker Committee collected over $18,000 in donations from classmates and friends to construct the monument, to provide a railed footbridge access, lay sidewalks, attach directional markers along Highway 139 (on Childress Gin building), place 16 engraved plaques on the monument with 73 engraved bricks at the base. The project will be ongoing, with plaques and bricks added as needed.
The Childress High School was formed in 1921 with students from small community schools in the area, which consisted of Macey, Sipes, Red Onion, Happy Corner, Old Town Ridge, and Turkey Run.
Childress began with classes in first through the eighth grade and had its first 12-year graduating class in 1934. The school colors were royal blue and gold, and they used an eagle as the mascot. A large bronze concrete eagle has been placed atop the new memorial marker. CHS consolidated with Monette High School in 1961. Monette went on to consolidate with Leachville to form Buffalo Island Central in 1984.
CHS holds all-class reunions every three years with the next reunion scheduled for Aug. 31, 2013, at BIC West Elementary in Monette.
Everyone is invited to attend the short outdoor memorial service on Sunday. Limited seating will be provided.