Mustangs advance to second round of NEA, fall to Cedar Ridge

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Town Crier Sports Staff

The BIC boys gave first-year head coach Dion Hargrove a 57-53 first-round win over Sloan-Hendrix in the NEA tournament the Friday before Christmas. Then, in the second round last Wednesday morning, the Mustangs ran into the unbeaten Timberwolves of Cedar Ridge and dropped a 62-40 decision. Trevor Matheny led the team in scoring in both games with 25 in the first round and just 10 points in the loss.

In their first round game against Sloan-Hendrix the BIC squad played brilliant at times, but could never put the Greyhounds away. "I really thought Sloan-Hendrix did a good job of rebounding the ball" Hargrove noted later.

The Mustangs led throughout the game, and stretched their advantage to nine points in the fourth quarter, only to see the Greyhounds battle back to tie the contest with just under four minutes left in regulation. Following a BIC timeout the Mustangs pushed back to a three-point lead, only to see Sloan-Hendrix tie the score again with less than two minutes to play. Matheny sealed the deal at the free-throw line down the stretch and the Mustangs gave Hargrove a nice Christmas present at the Greyhound's expense.

The contest against Cedar Ridge was another story.

The Timberwolves came into the second round game with BIC unbeaten in 21 games, and did a good job of shutting down the Mustang scoring machine. Cedar Ridge also enjoyed an advantage at the free-throw line on the night as they visited the charity stripe ten more times on the game.

Matheny led the scoring for BIC with 10 points, Matt Taylor finished with eight, Shane Barnes had six points, Jordan Griggs finished with five, Matt Honnoll was held to just three points as was James Littlefield, Tab Wildy and Heath Hawkins had two each and Lee Birdno finished with one. As a team the Mustangs were 7 of 15 from the free-throw line on the game.

The Timberwolves got 18 points from Jordan Hatler and 14 from Matt Henderson in the win, and converted on 16 of 25 free-throw attempts. With the win they extended their season record to 22-0 and were scheduled to take on Izard County Central in the semi-finals Thursday afternoon.

The Mustangs will be back in action on Friday, Jan. 4 when they visit the Bay Yellowjackets and get the second half of the regular season underway.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: