Blake Carr attends Ole Miss BB camp

Wednesday, August 3, 2005

Blake Carr was one of over 130 young athletes attending basketball camp at Ole Miss in Oxford, Miss., July 24-27.

Blake, son of Terry and Barbara Carr, will enter the sixth grade at Manila Elementary this fall and someday he will be able to play football.

He has attended local basketball camps but this was his first experience in an out of state camp on a college campus. He met young players from Memphis, Baton Rouge, La., throughout Mississippi, Paragould, and Jonesboro.

Blake said it was a great experience. Coaches from different high schools as well as many of the Ole Miss basketball players were on hand to instruct the players.

Blake's five on five team, "The Wildcats," was one of the last two teams to compete on the last day of camp. The team won the five-on-five competition in their age division.

"There was a lot of competition," Blake said.

Heading the camp was Ole Miss assistant basketball coach Jeff Conarroe. The group did get to meet Ole Miss head coach Rod Barnes.

Blake especially enjoyed meeting and working with several of the Ole Miss basketball players. One player, Jeremey Parnell, is from Gosnell, another, Bam Doyne, is from Little Rock, and Brandon Patterson is from Alheimer. Others he met were from Kentucky, Indiana, Memphis, North Carolina, and Illinois. Blake received a keepsake miniature Ole Miss basketball signed by all of the players.

He also enjoyed touring the campus where his dad attended his last two years of college.

"Dad said it had changed since he was there," Blake said.

Blake said they got to tour the work-out room for the football and basketball players.

"They have an underwater treadmill for injured players to work out on," Blake said. "They even have an indoor football field for practice. We gathered at the C.M. Tad Smith Coliseum but did most of our play in the Gillon Sports Center."

Blake was a day camper as he and his mother stayed at a relative's guest house in Oxford. The day hours started at 8 a.m. and ended at 9:30 p.m.

"They fed us three meals a day but we really worked hard the rest of the time," Blake said. "Every day something happened to me. The first day I was sick at my stomach, the second day I was chapped, the third day my lip was busted open, and the fourth day I jammed my finger."

Blake managed keep going in spite of the daily problems and make a great finish with his five on five team.

"We learned about basketball and attitude," Blake said. "An uncooperative attitude would get us sent home."

Blake said he made many good friends and hopes to get to return next year.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: