Lake City Church celebrates 80 years
The First Baptist Church of Lake City held a 80th anniversary celebration on November 23, with a special program in the sanctuary during morning services, and a large potluck meal in the fellowship hall afterwards.
Members and friends from across the state were in attendance. The sanctuary program consisted of music by Clay Doss, Paula Doss, Pat McCormick, Nancy Gammill and the Worship Choir.
Arlon Woodruff read the church history, compiled by Madaline Holland Doak. Madaline is the oldest member that is still able to attend services, and has been a member of the church since 1940.
Doak's history listed former pastors as F. E. Whitely, W. H. Horn, J. H. Summers, Thomas Stroup, E. N. Calhoun, Dr. W. A. Moore, O. C. Cooper, Don Hook, W. D. Bolton, L. L. Jordan, W. E. Speed, A. N. Norton, A. F. Muncey, Jim Birkhead, John N. Basinger, Jimmy Davis, Phillip Smith, Wayne Sanders, Steve Pelz, Mike McDaniel, and Scott Miller. The church is currently without a pastor, and the minister of music, A. Clay Doss, is filling in until a new pastor is called to serve.
Past and present, Ministers of Music, include Paul Owens, Roger Wagner, Harold parsons and Doss.
Mission pastors later named associate pastors include Henry Wooten, Mark Wilkerson, Jewel Oliver, W. B. Stone, Sherman Bridgemon, Mr. Moody, Rayburn Bone, Allen Van Horn, Wm. C. Ward, Bob Allen, Truett Murphy, Charles Watkins, Harold Ray, Marvin Reynolds, Charles Duncan, Shaw Griffin, Mr. Dean, T. B. Smith, Leon Lowe, Jimmy Davis, J. R. Wiles, Jimmy Clay, and Clyde Rogers.
Doak wrote "On February 23, 1923, a group of 46 people met in the Lake City Courthouse to organize the Baptist Church. F. E. Whitely was called as the first pastor and L. E. Newcom was chosen as the first clerk. For almost a year, regular services were held in the courthouse. In 1924 the church voted to erect a house of worship at the corner of Court and Carter Streets. The congregation met in the new church basement for 4 years until they were able to complete the upper story."
"In the summer of 1986 a new fellowship hall was added on the south side of the building," Doak wrote. "In 1988 the old church was declared unsafe to meet in, and the congregation voted to build a new church."
The church built in 1988 and the annex to the south side remains in use today.
Former church clerks were listed as L. E. Newcom, Spurgeon Clark, J. W. Johnston, H. T. Griffin, Mrs. Ted Fleeman, Mrs. C. C. Hartwig, Edith Hartwig, Mrs. L. P. Timms, Miss Ruth Wood (twice), Mrs. Carlene Brady, Mrs. G. T. Alexander, Mrs. Lou Walker, Miss Betty Pack (twice), Mrs. Homer Pinkston, Mrs. Elizabeth Howle Stone, Mrs. Sherry Ladd, Mrs. Brenda Timms Stotts, Mrs. Lilly Anderson, and Mrs. Debbie Anderson Mays.
Church Secretaries included Reba (Mrs. Bill) Hook, Brenda Brooks Hutcheson, JoAnn Winford Newcomb, Linda Eakins Owens, Karen Glover Bland, and Debbie Anderson Mays.
Many deacons, sunday school teachers and mission workers have served the church during it's 80 year history, and the church remains busy and active today, in all levels of ministry.
Current and former members expressed great pride in their church and the meaningful accomplishments during their 80 years of service.