How many times have I heard, “life is what happens while we are busy making plans.” Again, it has happened. I was on my way to an organized Christmas 2017. I was even ahead of schedule.
I had my two Christmas trees up and in place. We had our outside lights up for the season before the weather got cold. I had at least half of my Christmas presents bought, wrapped and under the tree all by Nov. 30.
December is a busy time for all of us and I was excited to have a little head start.
My close friends know I am not the most organized person in the world. I am sometimes bad about waiting until the last minute. I come through just before the deadline.
Back to “life happens.” I have to admit to being “proud.” We all know what is said about pride.
To make a long story short, life happened again and we had a grease fire in the kitchen on the evening of Nov. 30. Stove, microwave and the cabinet above the microwave burned. With a grease fire there is lots of smoke – black smoke and soot. Now my ceilings and most of everything in the kitchen and dining room has a black color and the surrounding rooms are just a little gray. It all smells very bad.
I know it could have been worse and I am thankful it is fixable, but here again, life happens.
It will be a different Christmas this year. I know the Christmas tree in the front has to go, but I think the one in the back is okay.
My brother and his wife took us in. I am also thankful for family. I also have to give a thank you to the Manila Fire Department and the ambulance service for their quick response.
I was in Caraway at a meeting when it happened, but my husband and mother were home and I am so thankful they are okay.
Stuff can be replaced, people can not.
I am trying to look on the bright side. I guess I will get a new stove and a new microwave for Christmas.
I really did like my old stove and microwave. I do not like my refrigerator but it is fine and dandy, so I will have to live with it for a while longer.
Like I said, it could have been much worse. The house I live in was my grandparents' home. They bought it in the 1950s. I loved visiting there during my growing up years and I love the memories throughout the house. The built-in phone stand is still in the hallway wall. I remember we would pick the phone up and the operator would ask “number please.” I think it was three digit numbers. To talk to an operator amazed me. We lived in Illinois when I was young and we had dial phones.
I am the third generation to live in the house and it has a lot of good memories. I am glad it did not receive any more damage than it did.
I want to thank everyone for their concern. That is what I love about living right here. People really do care.
I do want to remind everyone to keep good batteries in the smoke detectors. It gave my husband a quick warning something was going on in the kitchen.
Just a reminder, we are about to start the countdown to the 12 days of Christmas. Hopefully I will have a stove by then but if not, a good ham sandwich will be fine.